Banking & Finance
Business Continuity and IT Disaster Recovery for Banks and Financial Institutions
- Banking & Finance
Avalution has helped banks and financial institutions of all sizes successfully overcome their business continuity and IT disaster recovery challenges. If you’re looking for assistance with building or improving your business continuity program, contact us today.
Industry Update: In February 2015, the FFIEC released a new appendix to the Business Continuity Planning booklet. Appendix J: Strengthening the Resilience of Outsourced Technology Services highlights that a financial institution’s reliance on third-party service providers to perform or support critical operations does not relieve a financial institution of its responsibility to ensure that outsourced activities are conducted in a safe and sound manner. Learn more.
A GREAT FOUNDATION
Banking and finance is one of the most heavily regulated and monitored industries. Customers have demanding expectations for uptime, minimal tolerance for data loss, and high customer service expectations, so financial institutions have a need for robust business continuity programs – and most have highly mature capabilities in place. Business continuity personnel assigned to financial institutions are typically well aware of the regulatory requirements associated with FFIEC, FINRA, and other regulator-authored requirements, regularly participating in FDIC, FRB, OCC, or other regulatory audits. As a result, financial organizations typically go beyond just the basic program capabilities and develop effective strategies within all key areas of business continuity.
With all this oversight and the fact that your program may run like a well-oiled machine, why would you need Avalution’s help?
A HELPING HAND
Bringing in outside assistance can provide a wide range of benefits for banking and financial institutions. In addition to assisting with the execution of the business continuity lifecycle, Avalution can perform a program assessment or gap analysis comparing international business continuity standards and benchmarking from similar organizations to ensure that your program matures consistently with other financial services organizations. We can also help your organization align all areas of governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) under one enterprise risk strategy and approach. Further, we specialize in the development of metrics to help track progress, measure performance, and engage senior leadership, key areas which help take business continuity to the next level, beyond just “percentage of plans updated.” Management visibility and buy-in can help ensure you have the resources necessary to truly mitigate risk and implement effective solutions. Are you ready to get started? Let's connect!
CONSIDER A COLLABORATIVE APPROACH
Many of our banking and financial services clients currently benefit from another service Avalution offers – contracting to outsource or co-source the performance of some or all annual, recurring preparedness activities. This type of relationship allows Avalution to bring in an outside perspective and experiences gained from other organizations, and it frees limited internal staff to focus on their primary area of expertise, rather than day-to-day business continuity planning. Avalution has successfully supported several financial institutions with this type of relationship. No matter your level of maturity and staffing level, Avalution has the experience and expertise to help you become even better at what you do.
- US Financial InstitutionPerformed a comprehensive gap analysis between current business continuity program capabilities and industry regulations such as FFIEC. Provided updated and compliant program documentation and developed guidance on facilities hardening, alternate work area assignments, human capital management planning, and pandemic planning. Result – Beyond just regulatory compliance, the organization was more knowledgeable and better prepared to respond to and recover from a wide variety of resources losses through pragmatic enhancements to policies, standard operating procedures and plan documentation.
- Credit UnionTeamed with internal business continuity personnel to develop and facilitate crisis management and department-level business continuity exercises resulting in documented strategies for improvement. Created a comprehensive exercise planning and facilitation toolkit for internal personnel to advance and strengthen a repeatable organization-wide exercise program aligned with FFIEC recommendations. Result – Developed a business case for continuity planning and transferred knowledge to key personnel, leaving the organization well-prepared to continue key business continuity activities and increase organizational resiliency.
- International BankAssisted with the design of a comprehensive on-line awareness program designed to measure employee knowledge of the business continuity program and deliver information to close any gaps where knowledge deficiencies were noted – real-time.
- Regional Financial InstitutionPerformed a comprehensive risk assessment designed to confirm the viability of response and recovery strategies, both now and as the bank grows. Recommended strategy enhancements – many with cost-savings opportunities – and triggers for implementation (aligned with growth projections).
- Regional BankAssisted the director of business continuity with strategies to meet regulatory requirements – charted a three-year “path-forward” to enable internal business continuity professionals to spend more time helping business clients become more efficient and effective; delivered world-class solutions designed to create business continuity awareness using online training concepts.